Friday 18 January 2019

Prayers and Bannock with Suzie Q

We met Suzie Q a few weeks during our morning prayers in Oppenhemier Park.

As she walked past she stopped, turned her head sideways, and asked, "Are you praying?"

Yes, we said, we pray here weekday mornings at 8 am when it's not pouring rain.

"Oh, that is wonderful!" she replied. "I come to the park late at night sometimes to pray and to talk with people. They can be so cold and lonely. Sometimes I make bannock for them."

Suzie Q is a local Native elder, roughly five foot nothing, with an effervescent smile, shock-silver hair and eyes that shine. She knows most of the park residents by name.

I met Suzie Q again today at prayers. She told me that since meeting us a few weeks ago she has come to the park early each morning to pray as well. She knew Ponio, the man who died in the park last week. She found him not long ago lying on the ground in the rain, his shoes and belt stolen, so she went home and found some replacements for him and made him some warm bannock. That was the last time she saw him.

Suzie Q has a passion in her heart for the Latinos in our community who are homeless and hurting. She laments that there aren't many resources for them in their own language. Most of them are elders and have few options.

I told her that I had a discussion the other day with my Venezuelan friend about starting a Spanish-speaking prayer room in the city. Suzie Q was thrilled. "I can cook some bannock for it if you want!" Yes, I want.

I love her heart. I love that she prays, believing it is the best thing she can give to the people in the park. I love that she follows up her prayers with action, the giving of what is needed, the provision of miraculous bannock bread in the wilderness.

Would you join Suzie Q in praying for the people in the park? Especially for our elderly Latino folk?


No comments:

Post a Comment