Sunday 6 January 2019

Chalking the Door

Today is Epiphany, also know as Little Christmas (charming); Theophany (the manifestation of God); Denha (Syriac for "Sunrise" and connected to Jesus' baptism); or Reyes / Three Kings Day (not the Mark Wahlberg, Ice Cube, George Clooney film).

It is the real conclusion of Christmas in the Christian calendar, the end of those 12 Days from that interminable song about recklessly impractical gifts.

It may seem like a quibble, but if we want to get back to the "real meaning of Christmas" then perhaps we should pay some attention to the ancient Christian feasts, fasts, and traditions. These exist to remind us in season of eternal, divine truths, whereas the worldly Christmas/Holiday marketing exists to remind us to open our wallets.

One tradition with which I was entirely unfamiliar is "Chalking the Door" on Epiphany. This means graffittying your door with symbols like this:

20 † C † †  19.

The 20 and 19 refer to the calendar year, while the C, M, B are the first initials of the traditional names of the Magi (Caspar, Melchior, Balthasar) and a Latin blessing, : Christus mansionem benedicat (May Christ Bless this House).

It is an invitation to God to be welcome in one's house for the next year (of course, in Scotland landlords used this same method of door-chalking to evict tenants, which follows the pattern of "the corruption of the best becomes the worst.")

I'm about to go out and chalk my door. Not because Christ isn't already welcome in my house, or that he would be unwelcome if I didn't chalk the "magic" symbols, but because I wish to align myself with my sisters and brothers throughout the centuries who knew it was good to be reminded of hospitality. These chalk symbols will remind me that every time a knock comes at my door - and it happens a lot - I am to rejoice that another opportunity has arisen to welcome the Christ. Visitors are a gift, and they come bearing gifts, rather than a burden. Help me to remember, O Lord.




4 comments:

  1. Where I grew up we actually had groups of kids walking around town dressed up as Caspar, Melchior, Balthasar, chalking every door and singing a song of blessing if people were home and opened the door.

    Thanks for writing this. May Christ bless your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I hear about your childhood, Heiner, the more I believe you grew up in the 16th century, in some fantastical Bavarian fairytale land. It sounds wonderful. Did you ever get to dress up? Also, thank you for your hospitality this past year, and may Christ continue to bless your house!

      Delete
  2. Haha! I never got to dress up. One of the few protestant kids in an otherwise all-catholic town. So I'm glad it wasn't the 16th century ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year you and Kristen should totally dress up. Making up for years of not getting to do it.

      Delete